The attack on US maritime vessels potentially marks a major escalation in a series of attacks in the Middle East, linked to the ongoing Israel-Hamas war.
The Pentagon said on Sunday: ‘We´re aware of reports regarding attacks on the USS Carney and commercial vessels in the Red Sea’
The Pentagon confirmed that Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Carney – stationed in the waters between Africa and Asia – was under attack.
On October 19, images showed the US vessel defending itself against a combination of Iran-backed Houthi missiles and aerial vehicles – which it successfully shot down.
Yemen’s Houthi rebels later took credit for attacking two ships – without saying they were American – one with a missile and one with a drone. Houthi military spokesman Brig. Gen. Yahya Saree said the attacks would continue as long as Israel remains at war with Hamas in Gaza.
Houthi rebels have been launching a series of attacks on vessels in the Red Sea – as well as launching drones and missiles targeting Israel as it wages war against Hamas in the Gaza Strip.
Just last week Houthi rebels fired missiles at a US Navy destroyer off the coast of Yemen in a ‘significant escalation’ with American forces. Two ballistic missiles were fired from Houthi-controlled Yemen then landed near the US warship – a guided-missile destroyer, raising the stakes amid a series of ship attacks linked to the Israel-Hamas war.
‘The missiles landed in the Gulf of Aden approximately 10 nautical miles (18.5 kilometers) from the ships,’ the Pentagon statement said. ‘The USS Mason – was concluding its response to the M/V Central Park distress call at the time of the missile launches. There was no damage or reported injuries from either vessel during this incident.’