Why Are Nigerian Schoolchildren Still Missing Nearly 100 Days After Their Abduction?

Families in Nigeria's northeastern Borno state protested on Thursday, demanding that the government secure the release of children abducted from their classrooms nearly 100 days ago.

Families Demand Action as Children Remain Missing

Families in Nigeria’s northeastern Borno state protested on Thursday, demanding that the government secure the release of children abducted from their classrooms nearly 100 days ago.

The children were taken on May 15 from a school in Mussa, a community located on the fringes of the Sambisa Forest, a longstanding stronghold of Islamist militants. Relatives gathered in Uba town to press authorities for greater action and information about the whereabouts of the children.

The protest reflects growing frustration among families who say they have received little reassurance while their children remain in captivity.

Around 45 Children Still Unaccounted For

Orbet Lawan Yakubu, representing the traditional ruler of Mussa, said around 45 children remained missing.

Stay ahead of the geopolitical week.

MD Briefing delivers expert analysis across five global fronts — the Indo-Pacific, energy, geoeconomics, European security, and the Middle East — every Monday morning. Free.

Parents described the prolonged uncertainty as devastating, with some saying they do not know whether their children are safe, healthy or being held under harsh conditions.

“We still have not seen them,” said Chinda Buba, whose child was among those abducted. He said families remained unaware of where the children were or what they were experiencing.

Peace Nicolos, whose two children, aged three and eight, are among those missing, said families were living with constant anxiety and appealed directly to the government for their rescue.

Abductions Continue Despite Years of Military Operations

The kidnapping highlights the persistent security challenges facing northeastern Nigeria despite years of military operations against Boko Haram and its Islamic State West Africa Province, or ISWAP, offshoot.

The insurgency is considerably weaker than it was at its peak, but militant groups continue to attack civilians, schools and security forces across Borno and neighbouring states.

The Mussa abduction was followed by another attack in nearby Lassa on June 29, where 36 students and a teacher also remain captive.

Authorities have previously managed to secure the release of abducted schoolchildren. Last month, Nigerian authorities announced the release of children kidnapped from schools in southwestern Oyo state after nearly two months in captivity.

Government Faces Renewed Pressure Over School Security

A police spokesperson said the military was “on top of the situation” but declined to provide further details, referring questions to the armed forces. A military spokesperson did not respond to requests for comment.

For families, however, assurances from authorities have done little to ease the uncertainty.

The continued captivity of children also raises broader questions about the government’s ability to protect schools in areas where militant groups retain the capacity to operate despite sustained security operations.

Analysis: Nigeria’s Kidnapping Crisis Shows the Limits of Military Pressure

The Mussa abduction demonstrates that the weakening of Boko Haram and ISWAP has not eliminated the underlying security threat in northeastern Nigeria. Militants may have lost territory and operational strength, but their ability to target vulnerable communities and schools remains a serious challenge.

The prolonged captivity of the children is particularly damaging because school kidnappings have become a symbol of the state’s inability to guarantee basic security. Every additional week without their release risks deepening public frustration and undermining confidence in military operations.

The broader problem is that military pressure alone may not be sufficient. Securing remote communities around areas such as the Sambisa Forest requires sustained intelligence, local cooperation and effective protection for schools, alongside counterinsurgency operations.

For the families protesting in Uba, however, the immediate priority is far simpler: after nearly 100 days, they want their children home.

With information from Reuters.

Sana Khan
Sana Khan
Sana Khan is the News Editor at Modern Diplomacy. She is a political analyst and researcher focusing on global security, foreign policy, and power politics, driven by a passion for evidence-based analysis. Her work explores how strategic and technological shifts shape the international order.

Latest Articles