U.S. President Donald Trump has instructed the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” joint military exercises with South Korea, citing the cost of the drills and Seoul’s refusal to participate in U.S. actions against Iran.
Trump said on Sunday that he was unhappy the United States had agreed to participate in the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises and described the drills as costly and inappropriate. The exercises, involving about 18,000 South Korean troops, were scheduled to continue until August 27.
South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said the exercises began as scheduled on Monday but declined to comment on Trump’s remarks.
Trump Links Drills to North Korea
Trump also pointed to his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, saying North Korea had been “unthreatening and respectful” toward him during his presidency.
Stay ahead of the geopolitical week.
MD Briefing delivers expert analysis across five global fronts — the Indo-Pacific, energy, geoeconomics, European security, and the Middle East — every Monday morning. Free.
Trump has previously sought to reduce or end U.S. military exercises with South Korea while pressing Seoul to contribute more toward the cost of hosting about 28,500 U.S. troops.
North Korea routinely condemns the exercises as preparations for an invasion. Pyongyang has also recently conducted ballistic missile launches, adding to the security concerns surrounding the Korean Peninsula.
Possible Push for Talks With Pyongyang
Trump’s decision could be part of a broader effort to create diplomatic space for renewed engagement with North Korea.
Jenny Town of the Stimson Center’s 38 North program said the move could reflect Trump’s continued interest in creating a diplomatic opportunity with Pyongyang, although its unpredictable nature may have limited impact.
Trump and Kim previously held three summits, but those efforts failed to produce an agreement that halted North Korea’s nuclear weapons or ballistic missile programmes.
Victor Cha of the Center for Strategic and International Studies suggested another possible motivation could be limiting North Korea’s growing military relationship with Russia.
Drills Have Already Shifted Toward Simulations
It remains unclear how the exercises would be reduced. In recent years, the drills have increasingly moved away from live-fire activities toward computer simulations involving missile and cyberattack scenarios.
U.S. officials have warned that North Korea has gained battlefield experience through its support for Russia in the Ukraine war. A U.S. military official also recently warned that North Korea had successfully tested intercontinental ballistic missiles capable of delivering a nuclear payload across North America.
Cost Sharing and Economic Tensions
Trump’s decision also comes amid long-running disagreements over defense costs and broader economic relations between Washington and Seoul.
Trump has repeatedly demanded that South Korea shoulder a larger share of the cost of the U.S. military presence. At the same time, the two countries remain at odds over trade and investment commitments.
Under a previous trade agreement, South Korea committed to invest $350 billion in the United States in exchange for lower U.S. auto tariffs, but Seoul has yet to announce details of the investment plan.
Analysis
Trump’s decision creates a delicate balance between military deterrence and diplomatic engagement. Reducing exercises could support his efforts to reopen communication with Kim Jong Un, but it also comes at a time when North Korea continues to develop its missile capabilities and strengthen military ties with Russia.
The timing is particularly significant because Trump has linked the decision not only to the cost of the exercises but also to South Korea’s refusal to join U.S. actions against Iran. This suggests that Washington’s expectations of its allies are increasingly being tied to broader U.S. strategic priorities beyond the Korean Peninsula.
For Seoul, the challenge is maintaining its defense readiness while managing an alliance in which Washington appears increasingly willing to reconsider traditional military arrangements. The decision therefore raises questions about how far the U.S. is prepared to reshape its security commitments in Asia in pursuit of diplomatic and economic objectives.
With information from Reuters.

