An email goes a long way before getting to the addressee. After all, malicious software may be introduced in this chain or the server owner intentionally takes certain actions to obtain confidential information and damage the mail server by sending spam. In addition, the recipient may be an attacker and use the information received for a personal gain.
However, that’s not all. An additional problem is associated with the massive use of personal mobile devices to access corporate mail services. In the case of a device hack, the company’s reputation is damaged and important information is lost or stolen. Luckily, all problems can be solved comprehensively. There are email protection systems and the spam email checker Cleantalk email checker that can help you do that.
Email Security Methods
Comprehensive protection of information is aimed at the following tasks:
- Ensuring the unhindered receipt of letters by the addressee, without the possibility of their interception, opening, reading, as well as the prevention of possible forgery;
- Protection of information sent via e-mail from its distribution by an attacker without the knowledge of the sender;
- Blocking and the automatic deletion of spam email entries and attempts to hack a mail server.
To achieve all the above goals, traditional cryptography methods are used, while protection against possible forgery involves the use of the electronic digital signature. The technical side of the security issue most often involves the installation of a special, independently compiled software module (plug-in) for the mail client. This is usually enough because this small-sized additional software automatically encrypts letters and signs them. Possible vulnerabilities in such a set of security measures appear only in the following cases:
- The installation of clearly weak cryptographic algorithms;
- Malfunctioning cryptographic algorithms or protocols involved;
- Bookmarks originally made by the attacker into cryptographic algorithms that make it possible to crack email;
- Actions of a virus capable of intercepting an already decrypted message on the device of the addressee or gaining access to the keys of the sender’s machine.
With an integrated approach to protecting mail or when using professional solutions, these vulnerabilities are identified and eliminated.
Antispam Action Algorithm
After checking the received message, the solution determines its status: spam, possible spam, or not spam. When analyzing email contents, the following assessment criteria are applied:
- The blacklist of senders, as well as the list of spam phrases – If the sender is not present in the blacklist and contains no content considered as spam, the email is marked as not spam. If a sender is listed in the blacklist or there are “no-go” phrases in the email, the letter is blocked and doesn’t land in your mailbox.
- Headers – The header text is analyzed using the special algorithm, embedded images and links are checked as well.
- Email structure – By analyzing the email structure, its status can be determined as well.
Some services also check the IP address of a sender. In case the same IP is involved in many “email-sending” operations within a short period of time, it is considered a spam bot and all its activities are blocked on your end.